Saturday, February 9, 2013

Bourdieu "The Forms of Capital"

Overall, I found this article to be very interesting and informative; however, I do think that Bourdieu used too many big words. He probably could have found a simpler way to get his meaning across to the reader. I also found our class discussion to be interesting, especially the part about the Skull and Bones club at Yale. I thought that our discussions about privilege and the ways that we have access to privilege were interesting as well.. I think that Bourdieu had some interesting ideas about capital. I was already familiar with the different types of capital that he discussed, such as social capital and cultural capital, and of course economic capital. Capital is "accumulated labor", and therefore, anyone who has capital is able to control labor, workers, money, etc. Ordinary people obviously do not have the capital that Bourdieu is describing. Cultural Capital and Social Capital are a bit different. According to Bourdieu, a person could have Social Capital, but they may not necessarily have Cultural Capital, because Cultural Capital is something that takes a lifetime to attain and build. People can look at a person and tell if they have Cultural Capital. We saw this in the clip from Pretty Woman. No matter how much money or access to luxury goods one may have, they could still go through life without Cultural Capital. Social Capital, on the other hand, is all about using your connections to advance in life. Anyone can have Social Capital, although this may differ in terms of class. Obviously, the different types of capital and the levels that you have access to will differ bases on class, but I think the point is that we all have access to some sort of capital, and this leads to privilege.
     I think that Bourdieu makes some valid points regarding capital, although I don't necessarily agree with all of them. For instance, I believe that if a person was taught etiquette, wore the right type of clothing, and was educated about art, music, poetry, etc, they could fit in with people of higher classes. They would have acquired Cultural Capital. They may still have limited Social Capital, but they would at least have a few more opportunities than someone like Tammy, for example. Unfortunately, I think that all of these types of capital intersect, and that the playing field will never truly be equal for all people.
     

1 comment:

  1. Bourdieu wrote the piece in French, so it is the translation that was poor. I agree that it was extremely difficult to read. I found myself re-writing it in my head. Totally annoying. Haha.

    Anyway, good point about the cultural capital. I think the thing about "fitting in" has a lot to do about passing. Like when we were talking about Pretty Woman. She was treated like shit in that store because she didn't act right. Some part of the class thing is "passing" as a part of the elite, and there is a kind of privilege that comes along with that. But one who "passes" can't enjoy all of the privileges of the higher class, like you mention.

    Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete